Sunday, February 23, 2014

I Need Some Young Parent Feedback on The Dark

   I read the new (2013) book by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Jon Klaassen, called The Dark, and I would love to know how young parents and their little ones enjoy it.
   The color scheme reminds me of the "Earth tones" in my 1970's kitchen--brown, rust, olive, off-white--and lots of black..  Does it appeal to kids?The Dark is a character in the story--do kids get that?  And there is one page where the dialogue between Laszlo and The Dark is interrupted by 4 paragraphs of writing!  If I were in Lemony's critique group, I'd have suggested he peel that page right out of there!
    But, I'm 62 years old, and I prefer books with colorful illustration and rollicking text.  What do young readers think of The Dark?

No comments:

Post a Comment