Tuesday, July 3, 2012

   May and June were full of rejections, although my action rhyme "Garden Stretch" appeared in High Five. 
It was fun to share it with my "Colorado Mom," Gen Doak.



 There is hopeful news, however!  Highlights is adding a new magazine next year, for babies, called "Hello."  It will be edited by Kathleen Hayes, who also edits High Five.  I wrote and asked her if I could submit some poems, and here's what she wrote back:


Hi Deborah,

Yes, I'd be happy to see submissions from you for Hello.


Just be sure to make them very simple :)

Kathleen
Kathleen Hayes
Editor
Highlights High Five
807 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431

ikhayes@highlightshighfive.com
570-251-4528
570-251-7847 fax

So I sent in two, and got back a bear card for both of them!  Bear cards aren't an automatic in, but they are definitely good news.  The two poems are "Babies Can, Too" and one that I wrote with my graddaughter Olivia Rose in mind, "Knock Knock, It's Nana."
     The Verla Kay blue boards are a great resource, and have given me some places to submit, such as Knowonder, Spellbound and Holiday House.  I'm working on my writing more than ever, which helps me feel succesful amid all the rejections.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your rhyme in High Five! The new Highlights mag sounds adorable; good luck with your subs.

    ReplyDelete